Connect with us

Crime

SC directs shifting of 3 sugar mills from S. to C. Punjab

Published

on

ISLAMABAD: Supreme Court on Thursday while rejecting appeals challenging Lahore High Court decision, directed three sugar mills to transfer their setup from Southern Punjab to Central Punjab within two
months.
A three-member bench headed by Chief Justice Mian Saqib Nisar heard the appeals moved by Sharif Family and other, challenging LHC orders.
In September 2017, the high court declared the relocations of Chaudhry Sugar Mills to Rahim  Yar Khan, Haseeb Waqas Sugar Mills to Muzaffargarh and Ittefaq Sugar Mills to Bahawalpur illegal.
The court ordered that the owners of the mills return to their previous locations within three months. Later, three sugar mills, which are believed to be owned by the Sharif family, challenged the LHC judgment in the apex court.
During the course of proceedings, Chief Justice remarked that all three mills violated the rules and cheated the judiciary by saying that there were planting a power plant there but the reality was that they had shifted mills machinery, he added.
We can order to initiate criminal proceedings, however, showing judicial restraint and ordering them to shift back their setup within two months and dismissed all appeals.
The bench, however, said that mills owners might use their land for any other business but not for sugar crushing. The detailed judgment with reasons would be announced later on, CJ remarked.
In December 2006, through a notification, the Punjab government had banned the setting up of new sugar mills and the expansion of the existing ones. The prohibition included the relocation of mills as well.
However, in 2015, the provincial government had amended the 2006 notification to allow relocation. This revision led to the relocation of said mills.
In 2016, however, Tareen challenged the relocation of the mills in the LHC, arguing that the amendment was only made to benefit the Sharif family and that the relocation was illegal.

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Asia

Malaysia pardons three Mexicans on death row

Published

on

COAS confirms death sentence to 15 hardcore terrorists

MEXICO: The Sultan of the southern Malaysian state of Johor has commuted the death sentences of three Mexican brothers who were set to be hanged for drug trafficking crimes, Mexico said.
After years of lobbying by Mexican diplomats, Sultan Ibrahim Sultan Iskandar of Johor – one of Malaysia’s most powerful and wealthiest state rulers – commuted the men’s death sentences to life in prison, Mexico’s foreign ministry said Thursday.
“This was the result of a long process and intense dialogue with Malaysian federal authorities,” it said in a statement.
The brothers — Simon, Luis Alfonso, and Jose Regino Gonzalez Villarreal – were arrested in a raid on a methamphetamine lab in Johor in March 2008.
The brothers, who hail from the Mexican state of Sinaloa — home to jailed drug lord Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman’s Sinaloa cartel — insisted they were innocent, saying they had been hired to clean the building and were unaware what was being made inside.
But a Malaysian court sentenced them to hang to death in May 2012. The conviction was upheld on appeal the following year.
Mexico, which does not use capital punishment, neither accepted nor rejected the court’s guilty verdict, but pushed for the death sentence to be commuted.

Continue Reading

Crime

Journalist murdered in Mexico, ninth of 2018

Published

on

Tuxtla Gutiérrez, Mexico: Gunmen shot and killed a Mexican journalist as he left his home in the southern state of Chiapas, his newspaper said Saturday, at least the ninth reporter murdered in the country this year.
Mario Gomez, a reporter with El Heraldo de Chiapas, is the latest victim in a wave of violence against the press in Mexico, the second-deadliest country in the world for journalists after war-torn Syria, according to the watchdog group Reporters Without Borders.
“He had recently filed a complaint because he was receiving threats,” a colleague at the paper told AFP on condition of anonymity.
The newspaper said Gomez, a general news correspondent in the town of Yajalon, was leaving for work when two unidentified men arrived and “murdered him in cold blood” with a series of shots to the abdomen.
Gomez, 35, was taken to the hospital but died of his wounds, it said.
“We call for an exhaustive investigation to find those responsible for this crime,” his colleagues wrote in an editorial published on the newspaper’s website.
The state prosecutor’s office said in a statement it would “follow all lines of investigation to shed light on this reprehensible crime and bring those responsible to justice.”

 

Continue Reading

Asia

Pakistan condemns terror attack on military parade in Iran

Published

on

ISLAMABAD, Sep 22 (APP):Pakistan on Saturday strongly condemned a terrorist attack on military parade in Ahvaz province of Iran in which several lives were reportedly lost.
“Our deepest condolences to the families who have lost their loved ones in this heinous attack. Pakistan condemns terrorism in all its forms and manifestations,” said the Foreign Office spokesperson in a statement.

 

Continue Reading

News Pakistan Trending