DERA ISMAIL KHAN: PTI candidate Ikramullah Gandapur – who was contesting elections on provincial assembly seat from the constituency of PK-99 – died here at Combined Military Hospital where he was taken in critical condition after he was gravely injured in a suicide blast at Kulachi area today.
According to details, Gandapur was on his way back home after addressing a corner meeting when the attacker detonated near his vehicle killing the driver, seriously injuring Gandapur, two policemen escorting him and a passerby. Ikramullah Khan Gandapur was shifted to Combined Military Hospital in critical condition and other injured were taken to District Headquarter Hospital here.
PTI Chief Imran Khan, who took to the Twitter early today to condemn the attack on Gandapur, later expressed his grief on learning about his demise: “Saddened to learn that Ikram Gandapur succumbed to his injuries. My prayers go to his family. May Allah give them the strength to bear this loss.”
Saddened to learn that Ikram Gandapur succumbed to his injuries. My prayers go to his family. May Allah give them the strength to bear this loss.
— Imran Khan (@ImranKhanPTI) July 22, 2018
Governor Khyber Pakthunkwa Iqbal Zafar Jhagra strongly condemned suicide blast on Ikramullah Gandapur. In a condolence message, he expressed grief over the death of Ikram Gandapur and expressed solidarity with the bereaved families. He also prayed for the early recovery of the injured persons.
Chief of Army Staff (COAS), General Qamar Javed Bajwa while commenting on the tragedy expressed his grief. Director General of Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), Major General Asif Ghafoor took to the tweet to convey the COAS message: “We have lost another patriotic political leader who are being targeted by enemies of peace & democratic process. We stay determined & steadfast. Blood of our martyrs shall not go waste, IA (Insha Allah)”.
COAS expresses his grief on martyrdom of Ikramullah Gandapur in suicide attack. “We have lost another patriotic political leader who are being targeted by enemies of peace & democratic process. We stay determined & steadfast. Blood of our martyrs shall not go waste, IA”, COAS.
— Maj Gen Asif Ghafoor (@OfficialDGISPR) July 22, 2018
Caretaker Minister for Interior Muhammad Azam Khan has strongly condemned suicide blast on Ikramullah Gandapur and vowed to ensure holding of peaceful elections. In a condolence message issued here Sunday, the minister expressed grief over the death of Ikram Ullah Gandapur and offered condolence with the bereaved families. He said our enemies wanted to destabilize Pakistan through terrorism. However, he said that the Pakistani nation would foil all such conspiracies with forging unity among their ranks.
Body parts of the suicide bomber’s body were collected from the site for forensic tests. PTI chief Imran Khan took to the twitter to condemn the attack: “Strongly condemn the cowardly terrorist attack against Ikram(ullah) Khan Gandapur and his convoy today. May Allah grant Ikram and the other injured a speedy recovery”.When contacted, the area police claimed that though LEAs had already informed Gandapur apropos death threats to him, he opted to move sans informing the authorities that have assigned thirteen gunmen for his security. Gandapur held the portfolio of agriculture and livestock minister in PTI’s last government.
Others too took to the twitter to condemn the attack:
— PPP (@MediaCellPPP) July 22, 2018
OMG. What a tragedy. Earlier our friend & a brave young man Asrar Ullah Gandapur martyred in a suicide attack & now his brother. May Allah rest his soul in peace. May Allah save everyone & rescue Pakistan from this menace of terrorism https://t.co/ZOGRpZlZuD
— Faisal Subzwari (@faisalsubzwari) July 22, 2018
Another condemnable terror attack, this time against PTI candidate Ikram Khan Gandapur. Praying for his and the other injureds' recovery.
— Shireen Mazari (@ShireenMazari1) July 22, 2018
Strongly condemn the suicide attack on PTI candidate, Ikramullah Gandapur. News reports suggest he & his driver has been injured badly! Let's all hope and pray that they both remain out of danger and recover fast, IA
— Jahangir Khan Tareen (@JahangirKTareen) July 22, 2018
This is a developing story.
Land Grabbing: Mansha Khokhar arrested!
ISLAMABAD: Islamabad Secretariat Police today arrested an absconding suspect Mansha Khokhar alias Mansha Bomb from premises of Supreme Court as he was wanted in land grabbing cases.
According to the source, he came to the court and wanted to surrender himself before the court. He also demanded to meet Chief Justice, the source said adding that Mansha and his sons are accused of illegally grabbing land in Lahore’s Johar Town area.
It is to mention that Chief Justice of Pakistan (CJP) Justice Saqib Nisar had ordered immediate arrest of the alleged land grabber last month, however, he was absconding since then.
The source said that he had been shifted to Secretariat Police Station by its SHO and further legal proceedings will be initiated against them. He may be handed over to Punjab police, the source maintained.
14 killed in bomb attack on Afghan election rally!
KUNDUZ: A motorcycle carrying explosives blew up among supporters of an Afghan election candidate on Saturday, killing at least 14 people, officials said, in the latest attack on a political rally.
Violence related to the parliamentary vote has killed or wounded hundreds of people in recent months and more militant attacks are expected ahead of Afghanistan’s October 20 poll. More than 30 people were wounded in the explosion in the northeastern province of Takhar where candidate Nazifa Yousefibek had been campaigning, provincial governor spokesman Mohammad Jawad Hejri told the Media. Interior ministry deputy spokesman Nasrat Rahimi said most of the 14 killed were civilians.
“The explosives were placed in a motorcycle and detonated behind a tent where Nazifa Yousefibek was campaigning,” Rahimi said. Yousefibek was not hurt in the blast. No group has claimed responsibility. Ambulances have been sent to the remote district of Rustaq where the attack happened, but officials also are seeking to airlift the wounded to hospitals, Hejri said.
Khan Jan, who told AFP he saw the explosion, said there had been a powerful blast and “a lot of people” had been killed. More than 2,500 candidates are contesting the long-delayed legislative elections. At least nine candidates have died so far, most of them in targeted killings, according to the Independent Election Commission. A candidate was among eight people killed in a suicide attack in the southern province of Helmand – a Taliban stronghold – on October 9. No group has claimed responsibility. That incident came a day after the Taliban warned candidates to pull out of the “bogus” election, describing it as a “malicious American conspiracy”.
The group vowed to attack the ballot and those involved in it. An attack on a rally in the eastern province of Nangarhar on October 2 killed 13 people and wounded more than 40. The Islamic State group claimed the attack, which the candidate survived. Violence had been expected to escalate ahead of the poll. Preparations for the ballot, which is a test run for next year’s presidential vote, have been in turmoil for months and there has been a debate about whether the vote should go ahead.
Bureaucratic inefficiency, allegations of industrial-scale fraud and an eleventh-hour pledge for biometric verification of voters threaten to derail the process, which is three years late. Some 54,000 members of Afghanistan’s beleaguered security forces will be responsible for protecting more than 5,000 polling centers on election day. But there are concerns over how they will manage as the Taliban and the Islamic State group step up attacks across the country.
Facebook says data breach affected 29 million users
Cyber attackers stole data from 29 million Facebook accounts using an automated program that moved from one friend to the next, Facebook Inc (FB.O) announced as the social media company said its largest-ever data theft hit fewer than the 50 million profiles it initially reported.
The company said it would message affected users over the coming days to tell them what type of information had been accessed in the attack.
The breach has left users more vulnerable to targeted phishing attacks and could deepen unease about posting to a service whose privacy, moderation and security practices have been called into question by a series of scandals, cybersecurity experts and financial analysts said.
The attackers took profile details such as birth dates, employers, education history, religious preference, types of devices used, pages followed and recent searches and location check-ins from 14 million users.
For the other 15 million users, the breach was restricted to name and contact details. In addition, attackers could see the posts and lists of friends and groups of about 400,000 users.
Lawmakers and investors have grown more concerned that Facebook is not doing enough to safeguard data. Facebook cut the number of affected users from its original estimate after investigators reviewed activity on accounts that may have been affected. Still, cybersecurity experts warned that attackers could use stolen information in targeted phishing scams.
Facebook said it was continuing to investigate whether the attackers took actions beyond stealing data, such as posting from accounts but had not found additional misuse. Hackers did not steal personal messages or financial data and did not use their access to accounts to access users’ accounts on other websites, Facebook said.