ISLAMABAD: National Commission for Human Rights (NCHR) has taken 1207 complaints of violations of Human Rights from December 2015 to December 2107, protecting rights of people without any discrimination as envisaged under the Constitution as well as international commitments.
The cases included 889 complains while the commission has taken Suo-Moto on 318 cases of human rights violations against vulnerable groups especially children, women and minorities etc. Among these cases, 506 were reported from Punjab, followed by 239 from Sindh, 203 from Islamabad Capital Territory, 182 from Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, 39 from Balochistan, 20 from FATA, 17 from Abroad/United Nations(UN) and only one from Gilgit – Baltistan during this time span. Giving details of 506 reported cases from Punjab, an official of NCHR said that 195 cases reported from Punjab have been disposed off, while 232 are under investigation at initial stages and 78 in hearing, he told the Media.
The 115 cases from Sindh have also been disposed off, while 102 are under investigation at an initial stage and 22 in hearing, whereas, 94 cases from ICT are disposed off, 66 under investigation and 43 in hearing. The official said, 66 are of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa are disposed off, 100 under investigation and 16 in hearing, however, five cases from Balochistan are disposed off yet, 24 under investigation and 10 in hearing, two cases of FATA are disposed off, 15 under investigation and three in hearing. From the complaints and Suo-Moto notices of UN/Overseas Pakistanis, four are disposed off, ten under investigation and three in hearing while the only one case of Gilgit-Baltistan was disposed off.
20 people injured in attack on BAP office
QUETTA: At least 20 persons were injured when some unknown men threw a hand grenade at Balochistan Awami Party’s (BAP) election office in Dalbandin area of Chaghi district on Sunday evening.
According to police sources, unidentified men riding a motorbike hurled a hand grenade at an election office of BAP which went off, leaving 20 workers of BAP injured on the spot, in Killi Khuda-e-Raheem area.
Police reached the site and shifted the injured to a nearby hospital for medical aid.
Four of the injured were being shifted to Quetta Civil hospital in view of their critical condition. Law enforcement agencies reached the site, cordoned off the entire area and started an investigation.
Suicide attack at Kabul airport leaves 14 dead, 60 wounded
KABUL: A suicide bomber killed at least 14 people and wounded 60 at the entrance to Kabul international airport on Sunday, officials said, as scores gathered to welcome home Afghan Vice President Abdul Rashid Dostum from exile.
Senior government officials, political leaders, and supporters were leaving the airport after greeting the powerful ethnic Uzbek leader and former warlord when the explosion happened.
“This is the first time I have seen a suicide attack,” one witness told the Media. “People were collecting human flesh with their hands,” he said, shaking as he spoke. “What is going on in Afghanistan?”
Dostum, clad in a Western suit and sunglasses and traveling in an armored vehicle, was unharmed, said his spokesman Bashir Ahmad Tayanj.
Kabul Police spokesman Hashmat Stanikzai said 14 people had been killed and 60 wounded, adding that nine members of the security forces and traffic police were among the dead.
The suicide bomber was on foot, interior ministry spokesman Najib Danish said, adding that civilians, including a child, and security force members were among the casualties.
Dostum, who is linked to a catalog of human rights abuses in Afghanistan, was mobbed like a celebrity as he left the chartered plane from Turkey, where he has lived since May 2017.
His return, which has been the subject of much speculation, comes amid violent protests in several provinces across northern Afghanistan, his traditional power base.
Thousands of Dostum’s supporters have taken to the streets in recent weeks, shuttering election and government offices and blocking sections of highways to demand the release of a pro-government militia leader and call for Dostum’s return.
Expectations of the return did little to quell the unrest, with protesters vowing Sunday to continue demonstrating until the burly leader of the Uzbek ethnic minority tells them otherwise.
“We don’t trust the government. We will continue our protests unless General Dostum tells us to stop,” Ehsanullah Qowanch, a protest leader in Faryab province, told the Media.
Qowanch also repeated calls for the release of Nezamuddin Qaisari – a district police chief and Dostum’s provincial representative in Faryab – whose arrest earlier this month ignited the protests.
Another protester, Massoud Khan, said: “We have been on the streets for 20 days now. We are not going to stop our protests unless our demands are met.”
Sherpao condemns suicide blast in DI Khan
PESHAWAR: Chairman Qaumi Watan Party Aftab Ahmad Khan Sherpao condemned the suicide blast in Dera Ismail Khan Tuesday which claimed PTI candidate for KP assembly and former provincial minister Ikram Ullah Gandapur and injured five others.
He expressed his deepest sorrows and condolences over the martyrdom of the PTI leader Ikram Ullah Gandapur. He said this while addressing a public meeting in Kanewar Tehsil Tangi District Charsadda in connection of election 2018 campaign Sunday.
QWP chief said that terrorism had played havoc with the lives of the people in KP. He said it was the time that the government should devise a strategy to effectively tackle the menace.
Condemning the sorrowful incident, he said that with the martyrdom people had lost a good political figure in the province. Expressing his heartfelt sympathies with the families of the deceased and wounded people said Sherpao.
He said that maintaining law and order situation and holding free and fair elections are the two key responsibilities of caretaker governments. He lamented that they did not fully act upon their duties to
eradicate the number of serious incidents.
“It is need of the hour that all the political parties and stakeholders should jointly work to take a unified stand against terrorists in order to restore peace to ensure the safety of lives and properties of the
people” he added.
He has expressed his concern over the recent terrorist incidents and said that it was the time that the caretaker government should take effective steps to control the menace of terrorism and ensure the protection of the politicians to provide them a peaceful environment for smooth election campaigns and gave way to holding of transparent elections.
He said that Pakhtuns had rendered numerous sacrifices in the war against terrorism both of lives and material but unfortunately no reward was paid to them for their sacrifices in the center which further increased the sense of growing deprivation among them.
He said that QWP will leave no stone unturned to address the grievances of the people of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. He said that KP needed an honest leadership for its welfare that could steer the province out of the existing problems. Sherpao expressed his grave concern over the unannounced and excessive load shedding in parts of KP. He said in extremely hot weather electricity outrages made the lives of the people miserable.
He expressed his firm conviction that Qaumi Watan Party will fight for the rights of Pakhtuns and will raise voice against the exploitation of the people of his province on every platform. He said that QWP will emerge the only representative of Pakhtuns in the general elections of 2018.