MEXICO CITY: A Mexican journalist was murdered Tuesday in the southern state of Tabasco, the governor said, as the country mourned acclaimed reporter and writer Javier Valdez on the first anniversary of his killing.
Juan Carlos Huerta was shot dead as he left his home in a suburb of the city of Villahermosa, said the state government. He is at least the fourth reporter killed this year in what has become one of the world’s most dangerous countries for the press, according to activists.
“I deeply regret this latest crime,” said Tabasco governor Arturo Nunez. “Juan Carlos was a top journalist … you could also say a friend.” Police have blocked all roads out of the city and are searching for a vehicle apparently used in the attack, Nunez told journalists.
“It was not a robbery. They came to execute him,” he said. Huerta was a 45-year-old radio and television journalist with a wife and two children, according to Mexican media reports.
The theme this year’s World Press Freedom Day was Keeping Power in Check: Media, Justice and The Rule of Law! Issues of media and the transparency of the political process, the independence and media literacy of the judicial system, and the accountability of state institutions towards the public discussed. The Day also examined contemporary challenges of ensuring press freedom online.
3rd of May was proclaimed as World Press Freedom Day, or simply World Press Day, by the United Nations General Assembly in 1993. The aim is to raise awareness apropos importance of free Media and remind Govts. of their duties regarding upholding the right to freedom of expression.
On the day people celebrate the fundamental principles of press freedom; assess the state of press freedom throughout the world; defend the media from attacks on their independence; pay tribute to journalists who have lost their lives in the line of duty.
Land Grabbing: Mansha Khokhar arrested!
ISLAMABAD: Islamabad Secretariat Police today arrested an absconding suspect Mansha Khokhar alias Mansha Bomb from premises of Supreme Court as he was wanted in land grabbing cases.
According to the source, he came to the court and wanted to surrender himself before the court. He also demanded to meet Chief Justice, the source said adding that Mansha and his sons are accused of illegally grabbing land in Lahore’s Johar Town area.
It is to mention that Chief Justice of Pakistan (CJP) Justice Saqib Nisar had ordered immediate arrest of the alleged land grabber last month, however, he was absconding since then.
The source said that he had been shifted to Secretariat Police Station by its SHO and further legal proceedings will be initiated against them. He may be handed over to Punjab police, the source maintained.
14 killed in bomb attack on Afghan election rally!
KUNDUZ: A motorcycle carrying explosives blew up among supporters of an Afghan election candidate on Saturday, killing at least 14 people, officials said, in the latest attack on a political rally.
Violence related to the parliamentary vote has killed or wounded hundreds of people in recent months and more militant attacks are expected ahead of Afghanistan’s October 20 poll. More than 30 people were wounded in the explosion in the northeastern province of Takhar where candidate Nazifa Yousefibek had been campaigning, provincial governor spokesman Mohammad Jawad Hejri told the Media. Interior ministry deputy spokesman Nasrat Rahimi said most of the 14 killed were civilians.
“The explosives were placed in a motorcycle and detonated behind a tent where Nazifa Yousefibek was campaigning,” Rahimi said. Yousefibek was not hurt in the blast. No group has claimed responsibility. Ambulances have been sent to the remote district of Rustaq where the attack happened, but officials also are seeking to airlift the wounded to hospitals, Hejri said.
Khan Jan, who told AFP he saw the explosion, said there had been a powerful blast and “a lot of people” had been killed. More than 2,500 candidates are contesting the long-delayed legislative elections. At least nine candidates have died so far, most of them in targeted killings, according to the Independent Election Commission. A candidate was among eight people killed in a suicide attack in the southern province of Helmand – a Taliban stronghold – on October 9. No group has claimed responsibility. That incident came a day after the Taliban warned candidates to pull out of the “bogus” election, describing it as a “malicious American conspiracy”.
The group vowed to attack the ballot and those involved in it. An attack on a rally in the eastern province of Nangarhar on October 2 killed 13 people and wounded more than 40. The Islamic State group claimed the attack, which the candidate survived. Violence had been expected to escalate ahead of the poll. Preparations for the ballot, which is a test run for next year’s presidential vote, have been in turmoil for months and there has been a debate about whether the vote should go ahead.
Bureaucratic inefficiency, allegations of industrial-scale fraud and an eleventh-hour pledge for biometric verification of voters threaten to derail the process, which is three years late. Some 54,000 members of Afghanistan’s beleaguered security forces will be responsible for protecting more than 5,000 polling centers on election day. But there are concerns over how they will manage as the Taliban and the Islamic State group step up attacks across the country.
Facebook says data breach affected 29 million users
Cyber attackers stole data from 29 million Facebook accounts using an automated program that moved from one friend to the next, Facebook Inc (FB.O) announced as the social media company said its largest-ever data theft hit fewer than the 50 million profiles it initially reported.
The company said it would message affected users over the coming days to tell them what type of information had been accessed in the attack.
The breach has left users more vulnerable to targeted phishing attacks and could deepen unease about posting to a service whose privacy, moderation and security practices have been called into question by a series of scandals, cybersecurity experts and financial analysts said.
The attackers took profile details such as birth dates, employers, education history, religious preference, types of devices used, pages followed and recent searches and location check-ins from 14 million users.
For the other 15 million users, the breach was restricted to name and contact details. In addition, attackers could see the posts and lists of friends and groups of about 400,000 users.
Lawmakers and investors have grown more concerned that Facebook is not doing enough to safeguard data. Facebook cut the number of affected users from its original estimate after investigators reviewed activity on accounts that may have been affected. Still, cybersecurity experts warned that attackers could use stolen information in targeted phishing scams.
Facebook said it was continuing to investigate whether the attackers took actions beyond stealing data, such as posting from accounts but had not found additional misuse. Hackers did not steal personal messages or financial data and did not use their access to accounts to access users’ accounts on other websites, Facebook said.