BEIJING: China’s second internet court opened in Beijing on Sunday as authorities step up measures to protect business transactions, personal information, and intellectual property online.
The Beijing Internet Court is given the jurisdiction to handle certain types of Internet-related cases that should be tried by a primary-level people’s court in Beijing in the first instance. Disputes in online shopping, service contracts, lending, copyrights, domains are among the typical cases.
An Fengde, vice president of the Beijing Higher People’s Court, said the number of internet-related cases has been rising rapidly over the past few years.
In the first eight months this year, the city’s courts tried 37,631 such cases, up 24.4 percent compared with the same period last year, he added.
An said the new court would strengthen the online protection of digital assets, intellectual property, personal information, and business secrets as part of efforts to build a prosperous, orderly and safe cyberspace.
The court, located in Zhongguancun Fengtai Science Park, is staffed with 38 judges with an average of 10 years trial experience and will be open 24 hours a day through its digital litigation platform, said Zhang Wen, president of the internet court.
Proceedings of each case – from lawsuit filing to mediation, hearing, and judgment announcement — will be accessible online. Appeals can be lodged and heard by an intermediate court or a special court such as the intellectual property court.
“We strive to make it easier for people to file a suit, boost trial efficiency while maintaining impartiality and system safety,” Zhang said.
Internet courts are a response to China’s large and ever-growing online activity.
According to the latest survey by the China Internet Network Information Center, China has 802 million internet users, about 71 percent of whom are also online shoppers. The value of online retail sales reached 4.08 trillion yuan (about 594 billion U.S. dollars) in the first six months of 2018.
The country’s first internet court opened in the e-commerce hub of Hangzhou in August 2017. In its first year, the court heard about 12,000 cases and closed about 10,600, the Supreme People’s Court said last week as it released rules on internet courts’ jurisdiction and operation.
It also announced that the third internet court would be opened in the southern city of Guangzhou this month.
Mobile broadband: More investment after 5G!
ISLAMABAD: A new technological era has prevailed across the globe and every country is trying best to keep enhancing technological advancements and capture Information Technology market share which has a value of worth $12 trillion.
Advanced nations are now engaged in a technological trade tussle and trying to become a world leader in artificial intelligence by 2030. The advanced countries had invested and are spending billions of Dollars in technology including next-generation 5G which ensures to download a large size of data within minutes or even seconds. It will give a boost to driver-less car technology and will help to fulfill a dream of shifting scattered cities into smart cities.
China has been investing a great number of dollars in Pakistan under China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC).
On the initiative of land-based connectivity, optical fiber cable is linked between two countries.
A Chinese company may lead Pakistan to its first ever 5G technology. However, 5G is more expensive than 4G. Therefore, the future government may have to work hard to introduce it in its full spirit as next evolution comes in form of 5G that will offer attractive data rates and more than that the fastest speed ever.
International Telecommunication Union (ITU) is going to launch 5G standards in 2019 and on the whole, a vast number of trials and experiments already being held in different parts of the world including Pakistan.
Zong and Telenor might be the first companies to introduce 5G. Up to a point, Zong also introduced 4G service in Pakistan before any other company. The company also requested Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) to take permission for the testing.
The question arises how 5G will be different from its preceding generations and when what of 5G for Pakistan is still unclear. The most publicized aspect of 5G is the introduction of new frequency spectrums, broadly categorized into frequency range 1 (FR-1) and range 2 (FR-2).
Recent 5G trails conducted abroad have already demonstrated the speed of 9.3 Gbps over 24 GHz spectrum, nearly 10 times faster than the theoretical maximum data rate for 4G.
When contacted, official sources said policy directives for test and development of technologies for fifth generation (5G) wireless networks in Pakistan has been issued last year which would be implemented by the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA).
The next generation mobile services (3G/4G) are continuously gaining momentum in Pakistan since their launch in mid-2014 while the demand for data services is growing along with the subscriber base which has crossed 58.56 million with a teledensity of 28.08 during last five years. The Basic Telephony subscriber reached three million with 1.30 percent teledensity while on another hand the number of cellular subscribers crossed 151 million by end of August this year.
The official said 4G network roll-outs continued across the country. Minister for Information Technology and Telecommunications, Dr. Khalid Maqbool Siddiqui has also hinted introduction of 5th Generation (5G) service from next year to attract foreign investment.
“We need to introduce more innovative services in a mobile broadband arena not only to facilitate the consumers but also attract precious foreign investment and meet modern requirements,” said the Minister.
The Minister had said, “The world is changing very swiftly and to compete with other nations we need to adopt new technologies.” He hoped that keeping in view of the importance IT sector in Pakistan foreign companies would approach themselves to launch the modern 5G service.
As per operator-wise data issued by PTA regarding the number of 3G and 4G subscribers, Mobilink Jazz’s total count for 3G users stood at 15.04 million by August 2018, as compared to 14.54 million by January 2018. Jazz 4G user numbers jumped from 2.23 by January 2018 to 5.07 million by Aug 2018.
Zong 3G subscribers decreased to 9.03 million by August 2018, from 9.08 million in January 2018, while the number of 4G users jumped from 5.07 million by January end to 8.13 million by Aug 2018.
The number of 3G users of Telenor decreased from 10.75 million in January 2018 to 10.21 million by August 2018. The number of 4G users jumped from 1.88 million in January 2018 to 3.59 million by August 2018.
Ufone’s total 3G subscribers reached 7.47 million by end of August 2018 as they were 6.630 million in January 2018.
It is imperative that we should remain proactive in ensuring market readiness for the next wave of mobile communications i.e. 5G which would open a new arena for smart devices and ensure employment and investment opportunities in Pakistan during coming years.
EU tells Facebook ‘patience at limit’ on consumer rules
BRUSSELS: The EU warned social network Facebook on Thursday to bring “misleading” consumer terms in line with the bloc’s rules by the end of the year or risk financial penalties.
“My patience has reached its limit,” EU Justice and Consumer Affairs Commissioner Vera Jourova said in a statement. “It is now time for action and no more promises.”
Jourova said she would call on consumer protection authorities across the 28-country bloc, which requested the changes last year, to act swiftly and sanction the company if Facebook failed to comply.
“While Facebook assured me to finally adapt any remaining misleading terms of services by December, this has been ongoing for too long,” she said.
The commission said that proposals made by the Mark Zuckerberg-led company were “very limited”, even after the company changed its conditions in April.
These new terms of services “contain a misleading presentation of the main characteristics of Facebook’s services”, the Commission said.
The commission meanwhile said that rent-a-room giant Airbnb has made the necessary changes to its consumer terms after also being under fire in Brussels.
The bloc’s executive arm has been at the forefront of a regulatory crackdown on US tech giants, having also slammed Google with huge anti-trust fines.
The commission has been cracking down on what it sees as risks for European consumers using the services of US internet giants like Facebook, Google, Amazon, Uber, and others.
Facebook also came under the microscope after this year’s Cambridge Analytica scandal in which the company admitted that up to 87 million users may have had their data hijacked.
Japanese billionaire is the SpaceX’s first Moon traveler!
Hawthorne: A Japanese billionaire and online fashion tycoon, Yusaku Maezawa, will be the first man to fly on a monster SpaceX rocket around the Moon as early as 2023, and he plans to bring six to eight artists along.
Maezawa, 42, will be the first lunar traveler since the last US Apollo mission in 1972. He paid an unspecified amount of money for the privilege. “Ever since I was a kid, I have loved the Moon,” Maezawa said at SpaceX headquarters and rocket factory in Hawthorne, California, in the middle of metropolitan Los Angeles, late Monday. “This is my lifelong dream.”
He added: “I choose to go to the Moon… with artists!” He said he wanted to invite artists from various fields including painters, sculptors, photographers, musicians, film directors, fashion designers, and architects.
“If you should hear from me, please say yes and accept my invitation. Please don’t say no!,” Maezawa added. Maezawa is chief executive of Japan’s largest online fashion mall, and is the 18th richest person in Japan with a fortune of $3 billion, according to the business magazine Forbes.
Maezawa’s other hobby is amassing valuable works of modern art and last year, he announced the acquisition of a Jean-Michel Basquiat masterpiece worth $110.5 million. His love of art led him to decide to invite artists to come along, he said.
“I would like to invite six to eight artists from around the world to join me on this mission to the Moon,” Maezawa said. “They will be asked to create something after they return to Earth. These masterpieces will inspire the dreamer within all of us.”
Until now, Americans are the only ones who have left Earth’s orbit. A total of 24 NASA astronauts – all white men – voyaged to the Moon during the Apollo era of the 1960s and ’70s. Twelve walked on the lunar surface. The first space tourist was Dennis Tito, an American businessman who in 2001 paid some $20 million to fly on a Russian spaceship to the International Space Station.