QUETTA: Days after Nawab Sanaullah Zehri had resigned in the wake of no-trust move, name of the former deputy speaker Mir Abdul Qudus Bizenjo has been put forward as CM by PML-N dissidents and PML-Q legislators.
It is pertinent to recall here that in order to save face PML-N-led coalition government’s CM resigned before tabling of a no-confidence motion.
Announcing the choice after a huddle at his house here today former senator Saeed Ahmed Hashmi said:”With the support of like-minded legislators, Bizenjo will be easily elected as the new chief minister”.
While confirming his candidacy Bizenjo, who is all set to be elected unopposed tomorrow (Saturday 12th of January), said that he would endeavor to resolve issues in the province by keeping everyone together.
Four police men among five injured in Khaliqabad attack
QUETTA: At least five persons including four police personnel were injured in an exchange of firing between police and proclaimed offenders near Salarzai near Manguchar area of Kalat district today.
According to police, following on a tip-off, a police party conducted a raid at a place where the proclaimed offenders opened fire at them. Four police personnel including Inspector Asif Rasheed, Assistant Sub-Inspector (ASI) Khair Muhammad, ASI Mehran, Constable Haji Khan, Constable Amir Bakhsh and one citizen Abdul Qayum received injuries during heavy exchange of firing.
The injured were shifted to nearby hospital for medical aids. No arrest was reported so far. Police cordoned off the entire area and started a search to trace out the suspects.
15 laborers stuck as oil tanker catches fire in Gadani
GADANI: 15 laborers got stuck as fire erupted due to flying sparks produced during welding works in an oil tanker at shipbreaking yard here today.
According to details, the dismantling of oil tankers was being carried out despite a ban on such activity imposed due to an inferno that claimed 26 lives back in November 2016.
Relevant pieces published earlier:
Rs. 18 million has been given to the heirs of the nine workers who lost their lives when an inferno engulfed a parked ship at Gadani Ship-breaking Yard on November 1, 2016. Conspicuous among others there were MPA Upper Dir Sahibzada Sanaullah and representatives of Gadani Ship-breaking yard. It is pertinent to mention here that nine out of 29 who were burnt to death on 1st November were from Lower and Upper Dir. Heir of each victim got a cheque of rupees two million (of which Baluchistan Govt. has chipped-in half a million rupees while Ship-Breakers paid 1.5million). (Published on 22nd January 2017).
Fire engulfed the same out-of-service LPG ship (owned by Rizwan Diwan Farooqi – former chairman Ship-breaking Yard Association – parked at plot No. 60) this morning, that caught fire last December too.
However, due to a swift operation carried out by firefighters, flames were doused and fifty-five workers were rescued.
Gadani Ship-Breaking Yard Plot 60 fire under control: All workers safe!
GADANI: Inferno, that has engulfed a ship parked here at the Ship-Breaking Yard’s Plot 60 Thursday (December 22), has been contained.
Rescue teams have evacuated all the laborers from the burning vessel.
Inferno engulfs another ship at Gadani: Déjà-vu for Les Miserables!
GADANI: While the exact number of laborers who died in the unused oil-tanker fire in Gadani-Ship breaking yard on November 26 is not known yet, another fire broke out today (Thursday, December 22nd) in a ship with a number of unknown workers trapped inside.
Relatives of the trapped laborers are in a state of grave panic fearing a rerun of last month’s hellhole scenario.
Laborers want judicial commission formed as death toll rises to 26 in Gadani ship-breaking blast
KARACHI: A judicial commission should be constituted under a Sindh High Court (SHC) judge to investigate the deadly oil tanker blast at the Gadani ship-breaking yard, demanded workers after the death toll from the explosion and fire has risen to 26. A local government official Zulfiqar Hashmi on Monday said that six more wounded from the Gadani shipyard have died.“One person died at home after being discharged from hospital while five others expired in hospital,” he said.
Laborers, during a protest on Sunday, demanded that the shipowner, contractors, and heads of government watchdog institutions should be arrested and tried for their negligence towards the laborers’ lives and environment. The ship-breaking workers urged the government and their employers to compensate each of their dead comrades with Rs.3 million as financial support for their families and give Rs.500,000 to each of the injured workers. Meanwhile, all activities at the ship-breaking yard in Gadani have been banned and a probe is underway.A high-level committee formed by Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif to investigate the causes of the fire held its first meeting in Karachi Saturday and said it would finalize a report within a week.
Eleven dead, dozens injured as oil tanker explodes at Gadani ship-breaking yard
GADANI: At least eleven laborers were killed and more than 70 others injured in an explosion that occurred during work on an unused oil tanker in the Gadani ship-breaking yard, police said on Tuesday.According to a senior police official, over 100 people were working on the ship at the time of the blast.
“The workers died in a series of explosions occurred in the oil tanker due to gas welding work,” said the Deputy Superintendent of Police Hub.“About eight explosions have occurred, and more explosions are feared,” he added.The whereabouts of at least 20 other workers remain unknown. Some workers remain trapped inside the ship, whereas others who were able to exit the ship from above threw themselves into the sea. Rescue workers from Karachi and Hub area of Balochistan rushed to the scene. However, only a single fire engine was present at the time that remained unsuccessful in putting out the fire.The ship-breaking yard is the world’s third largest ship breaking yard located across a 10 km long beachfront at Gadani, about 50 kilometers northwest of Karachi.
Election 2018: Former ANP Senator escapes attempt on his life!
CHAMAN: Unidentified gunmen opened fire today at the guesthouse where former ANP Senator Daud Achakzai was staying in Qila Abdullah.
Daud Achakzai who received bullets on his right arm is being treated at Civil Hospital Quetta; his condition is out of danger.
Relevant pieces published earlier:
i) Banned militant outfit TTP has today claimed responsibility for the suicide attack carried out on ANP leader Barrister Haroon Bilour. People of every walk of life including senior politicians and civil society have strongly condemned the suicide attack on ANP corner meeting in Peshawar last night and termed it cowardice act of terrorism. Chief of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) Imran Khan, Chairman Pakistan Peoples’ Party Bilawal Bhutto Zardari , President Pakistan Muslim League-N Shehbaz Sharif, ANP Chief Asfandyar Wali Khan, Governor Sindh Muhammad Zubair, former Chief Minister KP Pervez Khattak and others leaders have strongly condemned the suicide attack in Peshawar that killed at least 20 people including ANP leader Haroon Bilour and injuring 66 others. In separate tweet and condolence messages, PTI Chief Imran Khan expressed sorrow over the death of ANP leader Haroon Bilour and other ANP workers in the blast and expressed sympathies with members of the victims’ families. He called for the provision of foolproof security to all political leaders and candidates during their election campaigns.
PPP Chairman Bilawal Bhutto Zardari has also expressed sorrow over the martyrdom of Haroon Bilour and others workers of ANP. Bilawal Bhutto said terror attack on pro-democracy individuals was a conspiracy.
PML-N President Shehbaz Sharif also grieved over the death of Haroon Bilour and strongly condemned this barbaric act of terrorism.
“Bilour family has suffered the worst terrorist violence and rendered great sacrifices for the country,” he noted.
Bashir Bilour Shaheed was a brave leader who was martyred in similar terrorists attack six years ago and the sacrifices of Haroon Bilour would not go waste, he said.
Pak Sarzameen Party (PSP) chief Mustafa Kamal said those elements, who had cloured their hands with the blood of innocents people in Peshawar, did not deserve mercy. He called the authorities for bringing the perpetrators of Peshawar blast to justice.
Cricket star Shahid Afridi also denounced the blast and termed Haroon Bilour was a brave son of a brave father whose sacrifice will not go waste. ANP senior leader Mian Iftikhar Hussain has strongly condemned the attack on ANP rally and termed it an attempt to derailing democratic system in the country. He said ANP will fully participate in the election despite the attack. Ex-Finance Minister Miftah Ismail, PTI leaders Asad Umar, Ali Haider Zaidi, Shah Mehmood Qureshi, Faisal Vowda, Firdus Asiq Awani, former Federal Minister Rehman Malik, ANP leader Wajid Ali Khan have grieved over the death of Haroon Bilour and others ANP workers in the blast.
ii) A suicide bomber attacked a corner meeting in the Yakatoot area of Peshawar this evening killing twelve including the ANP candidate Barrister Haroon Bilour and injuring 65. According to details the suicide bomber was present in the corner meeting and detonated 8kgs Trinitrotoluene near Haroon Bilour (contesting the election from PK-87 on ANP’s ticket) during a display of fireworks. He was taken to Lady Reading Hospital where he was announced dead on arrival. Bilour family had confirmed the death of Haroon Bilour in the explosion. Injured, that include Danyal Bilour teenaged son of deceased Haroon Bilour, have been taken to Lady Reading Hospital. It is pertinent to mention here that his father Bashir Ahmed Balour (Senior Provincial Minister) too was killed back in 2012 by a Pakistani Taliban suicide bomber during an ANP meeting in Dhaki Nal Bandi Area near Qissa Khawani Bazar of Peshawar. Taliban believe that secular parties like ANP support the ‘War on Terror’.
Prime Minister Justice (Retd) Nasir-ul-Mulk Tuesday strongly condemned the bomb blast in Peshawar, which caused loss of precious human lives and injuries. Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) Sardar Muhammad Raza condemning the attack held: “This shows the weakness of our security institutions and a conspiracy against transparent elections.” Speaker National Assembly Sardar Ayaz Sadiq has strongly condemned the bomb blast at an election rally ANP at Yakatott Area, Peshawar in which senior leader of ANP Barrister Haroon Bilour and others lost their lives. In his statement, the Speaker termed it a barbaric and shameful act of terrorism and expressed heartfelt grief and sorrow over the loss of precious lives. He said that the elements involved in such activities were the enemies of the humanity and wanted to sabotage the democratic process in the country. He said that such shameful acts could not deter firm resolve against terrorism. He called upon the authorities for bringing the perpetrators of Peshawar blast to justice. He sympathized with bereaved families and prayed to Almighty Allah to rest the souls of martyred in eternal peace. He also prayed for early recovery of injured.
Caretaker Chief Minister (CM) Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Dost Muhammad Khan has said that all those elements responsible for suicide attack on Awami National Party (ANP) rally in Peshawar will be brought to justice. He said that a detailed investigation would be carried out to know if there was any security’s lapse. The CM said through such cowardice acts, the resolve of the nation could not be shaken in the fight against terrorism. He expressed these views after an emergency meeting about law and order situation following the blast. The meeting was attended by Chief Secretary, IGP KP besides other senior officials of Police and other departments. The CM directed the authorities concerned to examine all aspects of the blast so that perpetrators could be unmasked before the nation. He said holding of a free and transparent election is the prime responsibility of the caretaker government and every possible step will be taken to achieve this objective. Meanwhile, a five-member cabinet delegation of the caretaker government of KP visited the residence of Shaheed Haroon Bilour and expressed condolence with members of the bereaved family. The caretaker ministers include Zafar Iqbal Bangash, Fazl Elahi, Asadullah Chamakani and Muhammad Rashid Khan and expressed grief, sorrow over the death of Haroon Bilour. They prayed for the rest of the departed soul in eternal peace and grant courage to the bereaved family to bear this loss with patience. The Minister also prayed for early recovery of the blast’s injured and directed hospitals administration to provide best medical facilities to the victims.