WASHINGTON: A hostage drama in Florida ended Monday with the death of four children at the hands of a gunman, who also took his own life, police said.
The ordeal began Sunday in Orlando when police responded to a report of domestic violence at an apartment and one of the officers was shot. That officer remains in critical condition.
The gunman remained holed up in the apartment overnight and all day Monday with the children, who were aged one, six, 10 and 11. “A short time ago we made entry into the apartment and found that all four children have been killed by the suspect by apparent gunshot wounds,” Orlando police chief John Mina told a news conference just before midnight.
“It appears the suspect took his own life as well,” Mina added. Police stayed in contact with the gunman throughout the day. The gunman’s phone had sporadic service, and police tried to offer him one of their phones. In doing so, officers saw the body of one child and decided to try to rescue the others. A big boom was heard at the complex at about 9:00 pm, the Orlando Sentinel newspaper reported.
Gary Wayne Lindsey Jr., 35-year-old suspect.
A piece published earlier: A week before the first anniversary of Pulse nightclub massacre (the deadliest mass shooting in US history, claiming 50 lives) an incident of shooting causing multiple fatalities has been reported this morning. Police in Florida has said there have been “multiple fatalities” in a shooting at an Orlando industrial estate. The shooting happened early on Monday morning in the east of the city, a police official was quoted as saying by the local newspaper. It comes a week before the first anniversary of the Pulse nightclub shooting in the city, in which 49 people died. Reports in Florida said the deaths occurred at a business making camping awnings, and that the FBI was now on the scene. In a statement on Monday, Florida Governor Rick Scott condemned a “senseless act of violence”. “Over the past year, the Orlando community has been challenged like never before,” he said. In last June’s attack, the deadliest mass shooting in modern US history, gunman Omar Mateen killed 49 people and injured dozens more at a gay nightclub before being shot dead by police. (Published on 5th June 2017)
Malaysia pardons three Mexicans on death row
MEXICO: The Sultan of the southern Malaysian state of Johor has commuted the death sentences of three Mexican brothers who were set to be hanged for drug trafficking crimes, Mexico said.
After years of lobbying by Mexican diplomats, Sultan Ibrahim Sultan Iskandar of Johor – one of Malaysia’s most powerful and wealthiest state rulers – commuted the men’s death sentences to life in prison, Mexico’s foreign ministry said Thursday.
“This was the result of a long process and intense dialogue with Malaysian federal authorities,” it said in a statement.
The brothers — Simon, Luis Alfonso, and Jose Regino Gonzalez Villarreal – were arrested in a raid on a methamphetamine lab in Johor in March 2008.
The brothers, who hail from the Mexican state of Sinaloa — home to jailed drug lord Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman’s Sinaloa cartel — insisted they were innocent, saying they had been hired to clean the building and were unaware what was being made inside.
But a Malaysian court sentenced them to hang to death in May 2012. The conviction was upheld on appeal the following year.
Mexico, which does not use capital punishment, neither accepted nor rejected the court’s guilty verdict, but pushed for the death sentence to be commuted.
Journalist murdered in Mexico, ninth of 2018
Tuxtla Gutiérrez, Mexico: Gunmen shot and killed a Mexican journalist as he left his home in the southern state of Chiapas, his newspaper said Saturday, at least the ninth reporter murdered in the country this year.
Mario Gomez, a reporter with El Heraldo de Chiapas, is the latest victim in a wave of violence against the press in Mexico, the second-deadliest country in the world for journalists after war-torn Syria, according to the watchdog group Reporters Without Borders.
“He had recently filed a complaint because he was receiving threats,” a colleague at the paper told AFP on condition of anonymity.
The newspaper said Gomez, a general news correspondent in the town of Yajalon, was leaving for work when two unidentified men arrived and “murdered him in cold blood” with a series of shots to the abdomen.
Gomez, 35, was taken to the hospital but died of his wounds, it said.
“We call for an exhaustive investigation to find those responsible for this crime,” his colleagues wrote in an editorial published on the newspaper’s website.
The state prosecutor’s office said in a statement it would “follow all lines of investigation to shed light on this reprehensible crime and bring those responsible to justice.”
Pakistan condemns terror attack on military parade in Iran
ISLAMABAD, Sep 22 (APP):Pakistan on Saturday strongly condemned a terrorist attack on military parade in Ahvaz province of Iran in which several lives were reportedly lost.
“Our deepest condolences to the families who have lost their loved ones in this heinous attack. Pakistan condemns terrorism in all its forms and manifestations,” said the Foreign Office spokesperson in a statement.