Connect with us

Technology

U.S. would let Apple keep software to help FBI hack iPhone

Published

on

CALIFORNIA: The Obama administration has told a U.S. magistrate judge it would be willing to allow Apple Inc. to retain possession of and later destroy specialised software it has been ordered to design to help the FBI hack into an encrypted iPhone used by the gunman in December’s mass shootings in California.

The government made clear that it was open to less intrusive options in a new legal filing intended to blunt public criticism by Apple’s chief executive, Tim Cook, who said the software would be “too dangerous to create” because it would threaten the digital privacy of millions of iPhone customers worldwide.


“Apple may maintain custody of the software, destroy it after its purpose under the order has been served, refuse to disseminate it outside of Apple and make clear to the world that it does not apply to other devices or users without lawful court orders,” the Justice Department told Judge Sheri Pym.

“No one outside Apple would have access to the software required by the order unless Apple itself chose to share it.”


Meanwhile, the legal fight continued to reverberate on the presidential campaign trail as Republican candidate Donald Trump called on Americans to boycott Apple until it complies with the court order.

In the latest volley between the federal government and one of the world’s most respected companies, the Justice Department argued that Apple has the technical ability to comply with a court order issued this week, but won’t do so because of its marketing strategy.

“Apple has attempted to design and market its products to allow technology, rather than the law, to control access to data which has been found by this court to be warranted for an important investigation,” the filing states.

Pakistan

Fallout of abortive Faizabad crackdown: TV remains off air, but savants unblocked social media using a bit of jugglery!

Published

on

MMA

KARACHI: PEMRA, while citing Clause 8 (8) of Electronic Media Code of Conduct had yesterday issued a notification prohibiting live coverage of Faizabad sit-in. 

Yesterday, most of the private channels were taken off air. Viewers trying to watch TV see PEMRA message saying that the channel was suspended on its orders.

Though Facebook, YouTube, Daily Motion, Twitter and instagram had also been blocked, many savants of the technology are using it through a bit of jugglery.

For instance, they get the  services unblocked  by placing themselves abroad in the cyber memory!

Moreover, Government is also pondering over closure of mobile phone signals

Continue Reading

Technology

Dubai Air Show: Sino-Pak J-F Thunder and Chinese stealth combat drones attract attention!

Published

on

MMA

DUBAI: While aerial and static display of Sino-Pak JF-Thunder attracted attention of many buyers, Chinese stealth combat drones Yunying too caused ripples at Dubai Air Show that concluded yesterday (Wednesday 16th of November).

According to details Aviation Industry Corporation of China (AVIC) – that has unveiled its 9m-long powerful aerial-photography stealth drones Yunying here at Dubai Air Show – claims these drones weighing three tons, with 17 meters in wingspan can capture images of objects on ground and destroy them.

By means of turbo engines, these could ascend higher and beyond the reach of most surface-to-air missiles.

Three types of Yunying drones:

YUNYING 1: Equipped with ultra-high-resolution long-range optic cameras as well as synthetic aperture radar, it is capable of scanning and imaging 10,000 square kilometers per hour from an altitude of 13km;

YUNYING 2: With the help of full-band radar signal sensors and cellular network sensors, these can pinpoint all surface radar and communication devices within a radius of 400km and 200km;

YUNYING 3: This highly maneuverable target drone is a combination of the previously mentioned two. It can destroy targets 50km away and can carry six anti-ship missiles Ying Ji-9E.

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Faulty iPhone charger kills a 14-year-old girl in Vietnam!

Published

on

MMA

HANOI: Torn cable of an iPhone charger took life of a 14-year-old girl here when she rolled over it during sleep.

According to details Le Thi Xoan got exposed to live wire during sleep and was found unconscious.

Her parents rushed her to hospital where she was pronounced dead by doctors who confirmed that she died due to electrocution.

Original iPhone or third-party device?

Investigators are examining the killer wire to find out  whether it was the original Apple or its cheap replica. 

Sources privy to Newspakistan.tv, after examining snap of the burnt cable, held that killer-wire was shorter than the original 20-inch iPhone cable.

It is pertinent to mention here that victim must have known that the wire was torn as investigators have found a scotch tape wrapped around the defected part. 

 

 

Continue Reading

Trending