ANKARA: Turkey on Friday restricted access to social media websites after the Islamic State group released a video purportedly showing two Turkish soldiers being burned alive, a monitoring organisation said.
The video, which shows the killing of two soldiers captured while fighting the militants in or around the northern Syrian town of al-Bab, was released late Thursday night.
“The 19-minute footage was purportedly shot in the IS-declared “Aleppo Province” in northern Syria. Speaking in Turkish, the killer of the two men verbally attacks Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and calls for “destruction to be sowed” in Turkey,” said a Turkish military official.
The video’s release came a day after 16 Turkish soldiers were killed by IS fighters, in Ankara’s biggest loss so far in its unprecedented incursion into Syria.
Soon after its release on social media, authorities ordered to block the video and image sharing websites including Twitter and YouTube.
Turkey frequently restricts access to social media websites to prevent the spread of graphic images and other material authorities say would harm public order or security.