M. M. ALAM
HUB (9 Jan., 2017): Fire engulfed the same out-of-service LPG ship (owned by Rizwan Diwan Farooqi – former chairman Ship-breaking Yard Association – parked at plot No. 60) this morning, that caught fire last December too.
However, due to swift operation carried out by firefighters, flames were doused and fifty-five workers were rescued.
RELEVANT PIECE PUBLISHED EARLIER
Gadani Ship-Breaking Yard Plot 60 fire under control: All workers safe!
M. M. ALAM
GADANI: Inferno, that has engulfed a ship parked here at the Ship-Breaking Yard’s Plot 60 Thursday (December 22), has been contained.
Rescue teams have evacuated all the laborers from the burning vessel.
Inferno engulfs another ship at Gadani: Déjà-vu for Les Miserables!
M. M. ALAM
GADANI: While the exact number of laborers who died in the unused oil-tanker fire in Gadani-Ship breaking yard on November 26 is not known yet, another fire broke out today (Thursday December 22nd) in a ship with a number of unknown workers trapped inside.
Relatives of the trapped laborers are in a state of grave panic fearing rerun of last month’s hellhole scenario.
Laborers want judicial commission formed as death toll rises to 26 in Gadani ship-breaking blast
KARACHI: A judicial commission should be constituted under a Sindh High Court (SHC) judge to investigate the deadly oil tanker blast at the Gadani ship-breaking yard, demanded workers, after the death toll from the explosion and fire has risen to 26.
A local government official Zulfiqar Hashmi on Monday said that six more wounded from the Gadani shipyard have died.
“One person died at home after being discharged from hospital while five others expired in hospital,” he said.
Laborers, during a protest on Sunday, demanded that the ship owner, contractors and heads of government watchdog institutions should be arrested and tried for their negligence towards the laborers lives and environment.
The ship-breaking workers urged the government and their employers to compensate each of their dead comrades with Rs.3 million as financial support for their families and give Rs.500,000 to each of the injured workers.
Meanwhile, all activities at the ship-breaking yard in Gadani have been banned and a probe is underway.
A high-level committee formed by the Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif to investigate the causes of the fire held its first meeting in Karachi Saturday and said it would finalise a report within a week.
Eleven dead, dozens injured as oil tanker explodes at Gadani ship-breaking yard
GADANI: At least eleven laborers were killed and more than 70 others injured in an explosion that occurred during work on an unused oil tanker in the Gadani ship-breaking yard, police said on Tuesday.
According to a senior police official, over 100 people were working on the ship at the time of the blast.
“The workers died in a series of explosions occurred in the oil tanker due to gas welding work,” said the Deputy Superintendent of Police Hub.
“About eight explosions have occurred, and more explosions are feared,” he added.
The whereabouts of at least 20 other workers remain unknown. Some workers remain trapped inside the ship, whereas others who were able to exit the ship from above threw themselves into the sea.
Rescue workers from Karachi and Hub area of Balochistan rushed to the scene. However, only a single fire engine was present at the time that remained unsuccessful in putting out the fire.
The shipbreaking yard is the world’s third largest ship breaking yard located across a 10 km long beachfront at Gadani, about 50 kilometres northwest of Karachi.
Balochistan Unrest: Suicide explosion kills 4 FC soldiers in the outskirts of Quetta!
DARVAISH BELILI (BALOCHISTAN): As a result of a suicide bombing four FC soldiers were killed and several got injured today here in the outskirts of Quetta.
Sources privy to Newspakistan.tv have reported that explosion, targeted a FC check post, was followed by firing.
It is pertinent to mention here that today morning two policemen were killed in Quetta when three assailants attempted to kill a DSP when he was going to his office from home.
RELEVANT PIECE PUBLISHED EARLIER TODAY
Announce Rs. 7T Devl. package for Balochistan, says Dr. Kaiser Bengali in his new book!
KARACHI: A comprehensive development package worth Rs. 7 trillion by the federal government be announced for Balochistan for the next 20 years and make amendments in the existing electoral system to end injustices meted to the province for the last 70 years, said Dr. Kaiser Bengali, former Advisor to Balochistan Chief Minister here Tuesday.
Speaking at launch ceremony of his own book “A Cry for Justice: Empirical Insights from Balochistan” organized by Pakistan Institute of Labor Education and Research (PILER) at Arts Council of Pakistan, Karachi, Dr. Bengali said a large scale assets transfer has been happening rapidly from Balochistan to other parts of the country especially in Sui gas. Karachi and Lahore were developed from the gas of Balochistan, but the province did not receive gas till 1984.
He dispelled the notion that Sardars are impediments in developments. Less than one-third of Balochistan is under Sardari system where as there is no Sardari System, he said adding that it is incorrect to say that Sardars are hindrances of Sardars, he said adding that majority of the Balochistan population belongs to middle class, who want development in the province. It is propaganda of Islamabad to hold control of Balochistan, he remarked.
“There was no role of provincial assembly in change of Chief Minister, the decision was made somewhere else,” he added. Even there is a lot of interference in electoral process, he said adding that Dr. Malik had quoted that General Pervaiz Musharraf had asked him to support a lady candidate, but he refused. Next day he was arrested.
Providing an overview of his book, Dr. Bengali said there has been a wide spread injustice to Balochistan, especially in natural gas. Total resource transfer from Balochistan between the periods from 1965 to 2014 was Rs. 7 trillion, which should be paid back, he added.
Dr. Kaiser Bengali said average share of Balochistan in the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth between 1970 and 2000 remained at 4.1 percent, despite the fact the population of the province is 5 percent. The growth rate of the remaining three province remained 4.7 percent, he added.
Out of 26 districts in Balochistan are higher in deprivation category as 88 percent of the population of Balochistan is the highest in deprivation category. Average gross product growth rate in 2000-11 was 4.7 percent in other parts of the country, where as it was 2.5 percent in Balochistan. The province is still lagging behind and even falling further behind, he added.
He pointed out injustice to people in electoral process, which is based on constituencies and population basis. Average constituency size is spread over 24,799 square kilometer, where as total constituency size of all three provinces jointly is less than 2000 sq. km.
“It is impossible for a candidate to read most of areas for election campaigns as there is no road network in most of areas,” he said. There is a need to introduce electoral reforms to increase the seats in both Balochistan Assembly and National Assembly.
Providing statistics of allocations of funds under Public Sector Development Program (PSDP), he said from the period 1990 to 2001 share of Balochistan in PSDP was 3.9 percent and 0.18 percent in GDP growth rate. During the period 2002-2016 Gwadar came into focus and Balochistan’s share in PSDP increased to 7.6 percent and 0.2 percent in GDP growth.
From the period 1990 to 2016 not a single scheme has been developed for civilian housing in Balochistan, he said adding that due to CPEC, foreigners are not finding residence or office building for them.
He said National Highway Authority (NHA) is working in a colonial style, and it has neglected both Balochistan and Sindh in its projects. Giving statistics, Dr. Kaiser Bengali said historical neglect indicated by absence of road communications in the 347,000 sq. km province till the ‘discovery’ of Gwadar. Till 2004 the residents of Gwadar and coastal towns were travelling to Karachi via a dirt track, and the trip required 2-3 days to cover, compared to 7 hours currently, with passengers having to spend nights in the open. It required carrying spare tyres and a spare axle to attend to breakdowns.
Moreover, Dr. Bengali said a 100,000 sq. km area in central Balochistan was devoid of any metaled road. “It was Balochistan’s Empty Quarter, akin to the Arabian Peninsula’s Rab-ul-Khali,” he added.
Even today there is not a single dual carriage way in the province, said Dr. Kaiser Bengali. He suggested allocating at least 44 percent of NHA budget for Balochistan for the next 20 years.
He also quoted statistics about representation of Balochis in federal bureaucracy and said total 42 Divisions and 11 key offices are there in federal government and there is no grade 20, 21 or 22 officer from Balochistan till today. Even none of Chief Secretaries every appointed in the province belonged to Balochistan.
There are zero Balochistani BPS 20-21-22 officers in Defense, Economic Affairs, Petroleum & Natural Resources, Planning & Development and Supreme Court. Similarly, there are zero Balochistani PBS 21 & 22 officers in Cabinet, Commerce, Communication, Interior, Water & Power, Prime Minister’s Secretariat, National Assembly Secretariat, Election Commission, and NAB.
PILER’s Executive Director Karamat Ali said that people of Balochistan deserves restoration of their rights and resources.
Baluchistan: Roadside blast kills one, injures seven in Panjgur!
PANJGUR: In a roadside blast here today one person died and seven others got wounded, two of whom are in critical condition.
Brother of the tribal leader was not so fortunate and was killed by the explosion detonated by a remote control device. He was travelling in a different vehicle.
According to details unidentified miscreants unsuccessfully attempted to kill a tribal notable in Chitkan area by means of an explosive-laden motorcycle kept near a garbage dump at an intersection.