Connect with us

Crime

9/11: 16 years later, the US is still finding answers in the ashes

Published

on

WASHINGTON: Today, September 11, marks the 16th anniversary of the deadly attacks on World Trade Centre, a day which changed the thinking of American people for the whole Muslim world.

Almost 3,000 people died when hijacked planes crashed into the skyscrapers, the Pentagon, and a field near Shanksville, Pennsylvania in 2001. It has been 16 years since one of the most devastating days in the US history and the world is still finding answers in the ashes.

 

The 9/11 attacks spawned Washington’s so-called war on terror, which initially focused on al Qaeda and the Taliban, before later targeting the Islamic State group which has seized territory in Syria, Iraq and Libya.

Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, or “KSM”, was dubbed the “architect of 9/11”. He and his four alleged co-conspirators all face the death penalty in a case that is still crawling through the pretrial stages of a military commission.

According to a senior White House official, KSM allegedly hatched the 9/11 plot, secured al-Qaeda boss Osama bin Laden’s support, and oversaw operations and trained hijackers in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

The other men – Walid bin Attash, Ramzi bin al-Shibh, Ammar al-Baluchi and Mustafa al-Hawsawi – allegedly trained hijackers, arranged travel and flight school courses or wired money to fund the attacks on New York and Washington, DC, he said in an interview a year after the incident.

Thousands of 9/11 victims’ relatives, survivors, rescuers, and others are gathering at the World Trade Centre today to remember what remains the deadliest attack on American soil.

US President Donald Trump is marking the anniversary for the first time as the country’s leader today. He is scheduled to observe a moment of silence at around the time the first aeroplane hit the towers.

Trump is also expected to take part in a 9/11 observance at the Pentagon. Defence Secretary Jim Mattis and General Joseph Dunford, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, are hosting a private observance for victims’ relatives there at 9.11am local time.

Crime

Nawaz – disqualified under Articles 62 and 63 – cannot serve as PML-N head: SC

Published

on

ISLAMABAD: Three-judge SC bench in a verdict on petitions (filed by PTI, AML, PPP & others) challenging Election Act 2017 has said here today that an individual disqualified under Articles 62 and 63 cannot serve as party head.

Since all the decisions taken by Sharif have been declared null and void, the PML-N will have to give fresh names of candidates for the Senate elections scheduled to be held on 3rd day of March, 2018).

It is pertinent to mention here that, after Nawaz Sharif  was disqualified by the SC from holding a public office, passage of the said Act had earlier enabled Nawaz Sharif to regain his lost position as PML-N head.

RELEVANT PIECES PUBLISHED EARLIER

Nawaz Sharif can now again become PML-N chief!

Recent amendments to Elections Act 2017 provides legal cover to Nawaz: CEC

 

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Lawyer shoots two other lawyers down before a Lahore DJ court, CJ of LHC calls security huddle!

Published

on

LAHORE: CJ of LHC has called a security meeting today following a shooting incident here that resulted into the death of two lawyers.

According to details – unable to take pressure due to a property dispute – a lawyer named Kashif Rajput gunned opponent lawyers Rana Nadeem and Rana Owais down outside a SJ court. Killer lawyer has been taken into custody.

Meanwhile, taking notice of the horrid occurrence CJ has called a security meeting at 3PM today to examine the security lapses. Moreover, during the meeting IGP Punjab and CCPO Lahore will brief senior legal fraternity about the state of affairs.

Continue Reading

Crime

Zainab Murder Case: Pedophile Serial Killer Imran Ali handed 4 death sentences!

Published

on

LAHORE (Kot Lakpat Jail): ATC-I here today has handed the pedophile serial killer Imran Ali four death sentences, one life term (in addition to seven-year incarceration) and over Rs. three million fine u/s 7 ATA for raping and murdering six-year-old Zainab Amin in Kasur.  

Trial court – that was given seven days for completion of the trial by LHC –  concluded hearing and handed over the conviction within four days that is reckoned the swiftest case ever to be decided in Pakistan.

It is pertinent to mention here while prosecution, in addition to the DNA and polygraph tests, had produced over fifty-six witnesses against the convict, after his confession the defense lawyer opted to quit saying that his conscience did not allow him to defend a killer.  The convict  can challenge the conviction within fifteen days.

RELEVANT PIECES PUBLISHED EARLIER

Snowball effect of Kasur’s Zainab’s tragedy continues, 5 killer-cops arrested!

Zainab Murder: CM confirms the nabbed 24-year-old Imran is the serial killer!

Serial killer who raped and killed Zainab Amin and other 7 kids nabbed, DNA matched!

Zainab’s killer at large: 1,100 people questioned, 600 DNA samples obtained!

5th day of Zainab murder probe: JIT releases image of pedophile who killed 11 kids!

Zainab Murder Case: How to keep our children safe from pedophiles?

If Imran killed Aisha, why murdered Mudassir confessed to her killing?

Continue Reading

Trending